In the state of Massachusetts, as in other states, guardianship is a way to give or get legal custody of another person, or have legal authority over the decisions they make. In cases where a person is unable to manage their own affairs, the court can step in and appoint legal guardianship over them to their loved one(s). Guardians are appointed to help those known as “protected persons” with their personal needs. Whether you are seeking guardianship over a child, a disabled adult, a mentally ill person, or an elderly person, Boston Attorney Doug Lovenberg can help you through the process.

Guardians and Protected Persons

A person whom the court has deemed as unable to take care of their own affairs is known as a protected person. The protected person may be incompetent, or incapacitated. This could be an elderly person, child, mentally ill person, or disabled adult who needs help with life issues such as food, shelter, healthcare, and more. The guardian is appointed by the court to step in and act on the protected person’s behalf. This is guardianship. If the guardianship is limited, then the guardian will only be allowed to make decisions about certain parts of the protected person’s life which the court has decided. Joint guardianship is exactly as it sounds…it is when more than one person shares guardianship over a protected person. Joint guardianship can be limited or full guardianship. Full guardianship is when the guardian or guardians have complete legal authority in the decisions of the protected person’s life. If you are in need of a guardian and would like help in having the court appoint one, or if you wish to apply for guardianship over a loved one, give Boston Attorney Doug Lovenberg a call today.

Conservators and Protected Persons

While a guardian makes decisions in the personal life of the protected person, the conservator is appointed by the court to handle the financial decisions in the life of the protected person. When mental illness, or sickness causes a person to become unable to make their own financial decisions, a conservator can be appointed by the court to do so for them. When a person under the age of 18 receives money from person injury rewards or an inheritance, he or she may also be appointed a conservator. If you wish to apply for conservatorship over a loved one, Boston Lawyer Doug Lovenberg can help you file to proper documentation with the Massachusetts courts. Give him a call today.