In 2015, Joan Rivers’ daughter, Melissa Rivers, filed a lawsuit against Yorkville Endoscopy, Dr. Lawrence Cohen (medical director), Robert Koniuta (anesthesiologist), and Dr. Gwen Korovin (J. Rivers’ personal ear, nose, and throat doctor). After many months, a settlement has finally been reached.
Rivers Asserts Negligence and Malpractice
Rivers’ lawsuit asserted that her mother’s death would not have occurred but for the negligence of those involved that fatal day in Sept. 2014. According to a report published in WBAL, the lawsuit specifically stated that:
- Korovin was not authorized to be in the room, but was allowed in by Cohen regardless;
- Korovin performed an unauthorized transnasal laryngoscopy;
- Cohen ignored concerns from the anesthesiologist about the procedure;
- All three doctors failed to notice that J. Rivers’ oxygen levels, blood pressure, and pulse had dropped significantly;
- Cohen took “selfies” with J. Rivers while she was on the operating table;
- Upon attempting to revive Rivers, they failed to realize that her airway was obstructed and continued futile methods; and
- They did not have emergency personnel on hand to perform a cricothyrotomy, which could have saved J. Rivers’ life.
An Undisclosed Settlement Amount
According to reports, the doctors all plead “no contest,” and all parties involved agreed to settle rather than pursue litigation. The family chose not to disclose the settlement amount, stating that they rather focus on the importance of improving safety for patients.
Why You Need a Medical Malpractice Lawyer
Without a thorough investigation likely conducted on the part of M. Rivers’ attorney and professionals hired by their law firm, all of the facts known above – such as the fact that selfies were taken or that the anesthesiologist had expressed concerns about the propriety of the procedure – would have probably remained unknown. In fact, M. Rivers may have never known that her mother’s death was not caused due to unpreventable and natural causes, and it is unlikely she would have received the settlement offer that she did.
When you or a loved one has been injured, seeking the counsel of an experienced Boston medical malpractice attorney is vital to your claim. Without an attorney who can perform an investigation and build a winning case, your claim may be in vain.
Contact Lovenberg & Associates, P.C. for a Free Case Consultation
If you think that you may have a medical malpractice case, we want to meet with you. Our team of medical malpractice attorneys has helped many victims of malpractice recover the compensation that they deserve, and are passionate about serving those in the Boston community. If you have questions, please call us at 617-973-9950 or fill out our online form to request a free case consultation.